Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club is committed to providing players a fun, positive, and secure environment in which to learn and enjoy the game of soccer. We do not tolerate bullying at any practice, game or other DLVSC sanctioned events. We will promote a TELLING atmosphere. This means that anyone who knows that bullying is taking place is expected to report the incident. Players and parents should be assured that they will be supported when bullying is reported.
Definition of Bullying
Bullying is defined as conduct, gestures or comments which are insulting, intimidating, humiliating, hurtful, malicious, degrading or otherwise offensive to a player, group of players and/or teammates, and which create a hostile or intimidating environment, or which negatively affects a player’s physical and/or emotional well-being. Bullying is any written, verbal or physical act, or any electronic communication, whether it is a single incident or a series of incidents that results in intentional pain and distress to the victim.
Signs and Symptoms
A child may indicate he or she is being bullied through various signs and symptoms. While some children are prone to report bullying to their parents, coaches or adults, others will not, due to fear, intimidation or other factors. Coaches and parents should be aware of possible signs indicating that bullying may be taking place. These signs and behaviors could indicate other problems, but bullying should be considered a possibility and should be investigated.
For a list of potential signs of bullying please consult this list.
Procedures for Parents, Coaches, and the Executive Director
- Parents should report bullying incidents to the team coach or manager. If the problem persists, reach out to the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club’s Coaching Director or Executive Director. If necessary and appropriate, police may be consulted.
- In all cases of reported bullying, parents of the player who was bullied shall be informed immediately and may be asked to meet with the respective team coach and/or coaching director to discuss the incident. In all cases, strict confidentiality shall be maintained. It is not our goal to make a public example of reported incidents.
- The negative behavior must be investigated and the bullying stopped immediately. The parents of any player who is reported to be bullying will be contacted immediately by the respective team coach, coaching director, or DLVSC Executive Director and asked to meet to discuss the incident to help the bully or bullies change their behavior.
Consequences of Bullying
- In a first offense situation involving bullying, an attempt will be made to encourage the bully (or bullies) to modify their behavior for their benefit, for the benefit of the person bullied, and for the team. An attempt will be made by the coach, manager, or parent(s) to reconcile the situation between players (age and level of maturity and or severity of offense must be considered).
- If the bullying persists, disciplinary action against a player may be taken by the team coach and/or DLVSC Executive Director which may include, but is not limited to, immediate suspension from participation in practices or game(s) for a period of time.
- After the incident/incidents have been investigated and addressed, the situation will continue to be monitored by the respective team coach, team manager, and players’ parents to ensure the problem is resolved.
All members of the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club coaching staff are to see themselves as role models and ambassadors for the Club. We ask that our coaches be aware of how they represent themselves, their team, and Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club. It is imperative that our coaches are respectful to all around them including parents, opposing teams, and referees. We expect our coaches to exhibit professional behavior at all times, both on and off the field. Disciplinary action will be taken against any member of the coaching staff whose actions bring the Club into disrepute.
DLVSC coaches should aspire to be experts in player development and seek feedback and education, both formal and informal, that will help them down that path. We provide a variety of educational opportunities and resources for our coaches, including the coaching portal, to help our coaches be the best they can be. We ask that our coaches prepare for trainings by reviewing the session and curriculum materials provided.
DLVSC coaches must embrace the Club philosophy, The Downtown Way, and take pride in the development of each individual player assigned to them. We are committed to building a consistent style of play across our programming with the help of our dedicated coaches.
Coach Sideline Behavior Policy
Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club has a zero-tolerance policy regarding aggressive coach sideline behavior. Excessive coaching is strongly discouraged and only positive reinforcement should be provided to our players by coaches and sideline spectators. Coaches will be removed from the program for consistent violations of this philosophy. There should be no negative interactions between coaches and referees, coaches and opposing coach/players, or coaches and visiting parents.
Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club recognizes the potential danger and long-term health consequences of this often difficult to diagnose form of traumatic brain injury. The policy is intended to provide easy-to-understand guidelines related to players who have been diagnosed with or are suspected of having a concussion. The policy is for coaches, parents, and players, but is to be shared with any other adults or participants in Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club. At DLVSC, we want to ensure our players are provided the safest environment possible. As such, DLVSC is incorporating a Concussion Policy to educate DLVSC members about concussions, help prevent concussions from occurring, and identify when a concussion may have taken place.
Here are the guidelines DLVSC encourages coaches, players, and families to follow:
- Learn about concussions! The athlete, family, and coach should be familiar with the signs and symptoms of a concussion.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of a concussion. As a member of the sports community; we must recognize the signs of a concussion and check to see if the player is experiencing symptoms of a concussion.
- ‘When in doubt, take the player out.’ It is best practice to remove the player from competition if there are signs and/or symptoms a concussion has occurred.
- Do not let the player return. The player should not return to competition until he or she is evaluated by a medical physician and cleared to play.
- Monitor player recovery. Players who have experienced a concussion should be allowed to return to participate on a gradual basis. Players should continue to be monitored with the goal that the player will eventually return to full participation at an individual pace. Not all concussions are the same.
When a parent registers their player, they agree to the following: “If my child is diagnosed with a concussion during a Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club activity or during any other activity, including those outside DLVSC, or if my player has a prior head injury, I will inform my child’s coach of such diagnosis prior to the start of the season or before my child returns to play.”
Conflict Resolution Policy
Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club encourages our members to take a 24-hour “cool down” period before addressing a conflict that may have occurred. Complaints and concerns regarding your soccer experience should be directed according to the following guidelines.
Complaints regarding Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club coaches, assistant coaches, and/or managers should be addressed with the head coach. If resolution is not satisfactory, document your concerns in writing to the attention of the appropriate program director.
Concerns regarding your child’s team should be addressed directly with your child’s coach or assistant coach at a proper time and place. If resolution is not satisfactory, document your concerns in writing to the attention of the appropriate program director.
If, after following the appropriate measures as listed above, and resolution is not satisfactory, document your concerns in writing to the attention of the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club Executive Director.
Complaints and concerns regarding Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club’s player development policies, programs and coaching staff should be documented in writing and sent to the attention of the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club Director of Coaching. Complaints and concerns regarding Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club’s administrative policies should be documented in writing and sent to the attention of the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club Executive Director.
Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club has a zero-tolerance policy regarding the use of alcohol, drugs, and tobacco products at any DLVSC event. We are a drug-free organization at all times. For clarity, read the following guidelines:
- Alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and drugs (including marijuana and misuse of prescription medication) are not permitted at any DLVSC event, including practices and league games;
- No coach or volunteer shall participate in any DLVSC activity while under the influence of drugs or alcohol; and
- Smoking or use of tobacco products is not permitted in or around youth sports practices or games.
Hot Weather Policy
The risk of heat-related illness from vigorous sports activity increases with the temperature. The body generates heat which cannot be dissipated readily when the ambient temperature exceeds 85 degrees F, depending upon the humidity. Hot weather is considered at any point where the Heat Index reaches or exceeds 90. Coaches should follow the following procedures based on conditions:
- Heat Index up to 89°: Normal Play. Regular hydration patterns
- Heat index of 90°- 95°: Mandatory water breaks every 25 minutes.
- Heat index of 96°-102°: Mandatory water breaks every 15 minutes.
- Heat index over 103° (at start of training): All outside activity cancelled
Media Release Policy
Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club reserves the right to use photographs, video, voice, and likeness of players, parents, coaches, and referees participating in our programming without compensation. The media obtained by DLVSC may be used on our website, social media, publications, and etc. By participating in the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club, members agree to the following statement:
I grant Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club, and their respective successors and assign the perpetual worldwide and royalty-free rights to use my child’s voice, photograph, and likeness in any media related to my performance in or observation of the club including, without limitation, a videotape recording of such programming without compensation to me, or my personal representatives, assigns, heirs, children, dependents, spouse and relatives
Medical Release Policy
In considerations of Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club allowing my child to participate in the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club programming, I agree not to sue and forever release, waive and discharge Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club and their respective employees, governors, affiliates, agents, partners, owners, members, parents, subsidiaries, representatives, officers, attorneys and players (hereinafter referred to collectively as “Releasees” from any and all liability to me, my child and his or her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, children, dependents, spouse and relatives for any and all claims, causes of action, losses, judgments, liens, costs, demands or damages that are caused by or arise from any injury (including death) to his/her person or property regardless of the cause(s) of such injury. I assume all risks associated with my child’s participation in and observation of the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club.
I certify that my child is in good mental and physical condition. My child and I understand the inherent risks associated with participation in the club, and we also understand the inherent risks of participating in the sport of soccer at this level on a grass, astro turf and blacktop surface. I recognize the possibility of physical injury associated with soccer, and in consideration of above organizations discharge and otherwise indemnify the organizations, the affiliates and sponsors, their employees and associated personnel (whether paid or volunteer) as well as the owners of the fields and facilities utilized for the programs, against any claim by or on behalf of the registrant as a result of the registrant’s participation in the programs.
I, the parent/legal guardian of the registrant, authorize the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club staff to seek medical treatment for the Participant as they deem necessary at local medical facilities. I understand that this authorization is given in advance of any specific diagnosis, treatment or hospital care, and that it is given to provide the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club staff authority to seek medical treatment as he/she judge’s necessary to the above-named Participant. I accept responsibility for payment of all services rendered; I authorize any medical facility that renders services to release medical information necessary for the processing of insurance claims; and I authorize the payment of insurance claims directly to the medical facility. I understand that whenever possible, the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club will make a good faith effort to contact me or the above named person(s) before seeking treatment. If this is not possible, I understand that the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club staff will notify me, or my designee, as soon as possible of any and all diagnoses and treatments. I also hereby give consent for emergency medical care prescribed by a duly licensed Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Dentistry. This care may be given under whatever conditions are necessary to preserve the life, limb, or well-being of my dependent.
No Pet Policy
For the safety of DLVSC players and families, dogs are not are permitted on the premises of any DLVSC practice, game or event, even if dogs are permitted at that facility, park or field.
Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club does not discriminate against its members, players, coaches, parents, referees on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance programs.
Parents Code of Conduct
Youth soccer is for the players. All parents associated with Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club are invited to share in the pleasure of watching their children participate in the world’s most popular sport, so long as their behavior does not distract the players and officials from the free flow of play which is the trademark of the sport. Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club prides ourselves on having respectful and engaged families, and we ask that parents and guardians continue to adhere to these guidelines.
A parent or guardian should:
- Foster an environment of respect for referees, players, coaches, and spectators of the opposing team through words of encouragement and support.
- Applaud superior play, effort, and sportsmanship by players on both teams.
- Support your coaches and managers consistently regardless of the results on the field. Coaches contribute many hours of their time to your children. They deserve your congratulations when the team wins and your encouragement when the team doesn’t.
- Communicate any concerns to the coach at the appropriate time (recommended 24 hour cool off period) away from the playing location and players.
- Always remain at least two yards from the playing field so our young players have room to play and enjoy the game.
- Your cooperation with these standards before, during, and after each game or practice will make Rapids Youth Soccer more enjoyable for everyone.
A parent or guardian must:
- Never use foul language or obscene gestures at a game or practice site.
- Avoid comments and gestures that express disagreement with referee decisions.
- Cooperate with any request by the game officials.
- Never consume alcoholic beverages on the field location at practices or games.
A parent or guardian understands that:
- Any parent or spectator who fails to adhere to these standards will be required to leave the playing area, and play will be suspended until he or she does so.
- The downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club reserves the right to suspend or terminate a player’s enrollment for his or her parent’s persistent or extreme sideline misbehavior, and there will be no refunds of player fees in such cases.
- Parents or guardians are responsible for their guests’ behavior and must inform their guests of the applicable rules of conduct.
Any breaches of this Code of Conduct can result in your child’s suspension and a member’s removal from the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club. Comments and behavior of any member which contradict the mission statement or disrupt the functioning of a team can result in the suspension and/or removal from the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club.
Player Pick Up Policy
Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club coaches are required to stay at the field until the last player is picked up. This policy applies to players from age 4 through age 18, and is designed to ensure your child’s safety. Additionally, all coaches are requested to have a “two-deep” player policy, meaning, coaches should never find themselves in a position being alone with a child. As a result, it is important that parents and guardians drop off and pick up their players from practice on time.
While we understand that many parents have hectic schedules and getting to and from practices can present challenges, it is important to note that we rely on many volunteer and professional coaches who similarly have demanding schedules and often need to leave immediately following your child’s practice. Should a coach need to leave the field area while children are still present, children may only be left with an adult (this includes parents) that has completed a volunteer disclosure form and submitted the form to the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club office. You can find our Volunteer Disclosure form on our website.
Release of Information Policy
It is the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club’s policy to not release any information regarding any participants participation within Club structured programming, including, but not limited to team name, practice date, practice time, practice location, game date, game time, game location, coach name, coach contact information, or any other information pertaining to the player’s participation in Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club. Information will only be released to the contact person on the Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club player’s account. If you’d like information to be released to additional guardians or individuals, please have the main contact person on the account add those individuals to the account or call Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club to add them.
Downtown Las Vegas Soccer Club’s official apparel and equipment sponsor is adidas. This relationship is critical to the success of both on and off-site programming. As such, all uniforms, training gear, cold weather gear, bags and training should be adidas branded.
Players registered to DLVSC Recreational or Competitive teams must purchase a uniform and training gear package at the beginning of the season from our retail partner, ToDoFut. Players are required to wear appropriate Downtown issued gear to each training session and game. There are no exceptions to this policy. Players are responsible for upkeep of this gear. Continuing players will have the opportunity to reuse last year’s uniform if it is in the current style.